Get all your questions about remote graphic designers answered, from what they do to how to hire one.
Graphic design is sometimes overlooked as mere fluff. Nevertheless, it is an integral part of marketing and branding. Think of any well-known logo – a graphic designer has designed this. This visual communication is becoming more prominent with companies wanting to distinguish their brand. But, as with most professions, the salary of a graphic designer based in New York can be around $20.50 per hour. For many businesses, especially start-ups, this can fall outside their budget. There is the option of hiring a remote graphic designer. But here are some of the most asked questions about remote graphic designers.
What is a remote graphic designer?
A remote graphic designer does the same work as a traditional graphic designer in that they are skilled in graphic design. The only difference is that they work remotely.
Because such a person works remotely as a virtual assistant, they are not considered a company staff member. As such, the company pays the virtual assistant less and has fewer business overheads around the person hired.
Despite such savings, the company still manages to hire high-quality talent. This person is equal in skill to any regular graphic designer.
Different types of remote graphic designers
There are many different types of remote graphic designers, each with unique skills and expertise. Some of the most common types of remote graphic designers include:
- General graphic designers: General graphic designers can create a wide range of visual content, such as logos, brochures, social media posts, and website graphics.
- Brand designers: Brand designers specialize in creating and managing brand identities. They work with clients to develop a visual representation of their brand, including logos, colors, fonts, and imagery.
- Web designers: Web designers create the visual elements of websites and web applications. They work with clients to develop a user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing website that meets their needs.
- UX/UI designers: UX/UI designers specialize in the user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design of websites and web applications. They work to create a website that is easy to use and navigate and that provides a positive user experience.
- Motion graphic designers: Motion graphic designers create animated graphics for various purposes, such as video, social media, and advertising.
- Product designers: Product designers create the visual design of products, both physical and digital. They work with clients to develop products that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Why hire a remote graphic designer?
There are many benefits to hiring a remote graphic designer, including the following:
- Access to a broader pool of talent. By hiring a remote graphic designer, you are not limited to the talent pool in your local area. You can hire designers from all over the world, giving you access to a broader range of skills and experience.
- Reduced costs. Remote graphic designers often have lower overhead costs than traditional office-based designers, which can translate into lower rates for you. Additionally, you will not have to pay for office space or equipment for your remote designer.
- Increased flexibility. Remote graphic designers can work from anywhere in the world, which gives you more flexibility in scheduling and project management. You can also hire a remote designer on a part-time or contract basis, as needed.
- They improved work-life balance. Remote graphic designers often have more control over their work hours and schedule, which can lead to a better work-life balance. This can make them more productive and engaged in their work.
Overall, hiring a remote graphic designer can be a great way to save money, improve flexibility, and access a wider pool of talent.
Example of the benefits of hiring a graphic designer
Here are some specific examples of how a remote graphic designer can help your business:
- Create a visually appealing and consistent brand identity. A remote graphic designer can create logos, business cards, website designs, and other marketing materials to help your brand stand out.
- Design effective marketing and advertising campaigns. A remote graphic designer can create eye-catching flyers, brochures, social media graphics, and other marketing materials to help you reach your target audience and achieve your marketing goals.
- Develop and produce high-quality content for your website and social media channels. A remote graphic designer can create blog posts, infographics, videos, and other types of content that will engage your audience and help you improve your website traffic and social media engagement.
If you are looking for a way to save money, improve flexibility, and access a wider talent pool, hiring a remote graphic designer is a great option.
What are the core tasks of a graphic designer?
Remote graphic designers use their creativity and skills in graphic design software to create visual concepts, marketing materials, and other visual content that help businesses communicate their message and achieve their goals.
Creating and designing visual concepts
Visual concepts are the foundation of all graphic design. They are the ideas and concepts that designers communicate through their work. Visual concepts can be simple or complex, abstract or concrete. They can be used to create graphic design materials, such as logos, branding, websites, packaging, and advertising campaigns.
To create a visual concept, a graphic designer must first understand the client’s needs and goals. Once they have a good understanding of the client’s needs, the designer can begin to develop ideas and concepts. They may sketch out their thoughts or create digital mockups. Once they have a notion that they are happy with, they will refine and finalize it.
Developing and executing marketing and advertising campaigns
Graphic designers play a vital role in developing and executing marketing and advertising campaigns. They create the visual components of movements, such as logos, slogans, taglines, advertisements, and social media graphics. Graphic designers also work with other members of the marketing team to develop the overall strategy and creative direction for campaigns.
When developing a marketing or advertising campaign, graphic designers must consider the target audience, the campaign goals, and the overall brand identity. They must also be aware of the latest trends in marketing and advertising design.
Producing corporate reports, flyers, ads, magazines, and social media graphics
Graphic designers produce a wide range of visual materials for businesses and organizations. This includes corporate reports, flyers, ads, magazines, and social media graphics.
Corporate reports are often complex and data-driven documents. Graphic designers can help to make corporate reports more visually appealing and easier to understand by using charts, graphs, and other infographics.
Flyers, ads, and magazines are all used to promote products and services. Graphic designers create visually appealing and informative materials that will capture the attention of potential customers.
Social media graphics are used to engage with audiences on social media platforms. Graphic designers create eye-catching and shareable graphics that will help businesses to promote their brands and products or services on social media.
Manipulating shapes, colors, images, fonts, print design, photos, logos, and animation
Graphic designers use various tools and techniques to manipulate shapes, colors, images, fonts, print designs, photos, logos, and animation.
Shapes are used to create the basic structure of a design. Graphic designers can use forms to create various effects, such as balance, contrast, and movement.
Colors are used to evoke emotions and create a certain mood or atmosphere. Graphic designers can use color theory to create designs that are both visually appealing and effective in communicating a message.
Images are used to add realism and impact to designs. Graphic designers can use photography, illustration, and other types of images to create designs that are both visually appealing and effective in communicating a message.
Fonts are used to create text that is both readable and visually appealing. Graphic designers can use fonts to create various effects, such as formality, informality, and playfulness.
Print design is the process of designing materials that will be printed. Graphic designers must consider factors such as paper type, ink colors, and binding when designing for print.
Photos are used to capture moments in time and tell stories. Graphic designers can use photos to add realism and impact to their designs.
Logos are visual representations of a brand. Graphic designers create logos that are unique, memorable, and visually appealing.
Animation is the process of creating the illusion of movement. Graphic designers can use animation to create engaging and informative videos, GIFs, and other types of visual content.
Working with clients to understand their needs and create designs that meet their goals
Graphic designers work closely with clients to understand their needs and create designs that meet their goals. This process typically begins with a consultation, during which the designer will learn about the client’s business, target audience, and design goals.
Once the designer has a good understanding of the client’s needs, they will begin to develop design concepts. They will present their concepts to the client and get feedback. Once the client is happy with a concept, the designer will finalize the design and deliver it to the client.
Graphic designers must be able to communicate effectively with clients to understand their needs and create designs that meet their expectations. They must also be able to manage their time effectively and meet deadlines.
Which businesses hire remote graphic designers?
Many companies hire remote graphic designers. Here are a few: internet and software development businesses, advertising businesses, television studios and video production companies, corporate branding and consultation businesses, digital marketing companies, eCommerce businesses, real estate agencies, interior designers, architects, and more.
Tips for working with a remote graphic designer
Certain aspects of managing a remote team can appear daunting. However, this need not be the case – there are some rules which, when applied, simplify the process. Communicate! – You should constantly be communicating when you have a remote team.
More than that, you need to build strong relationships with your team members so that they not only feel comfortable but understand that they are valuable team members.
Therefore, have regular video calls. Seeing people’s faces is essential–this helps build a bond. As such, schedule regular one-on-ones, select a platform everyone can access, and keep your schedules flexible − life happens, and you need to reschedule occasionally.
Set clear expectations and deadlines.
Setting clear expectations and deadlines is essential for managing remote graphic designers effectively. This helps ensure the designer knows what is expected of them and when it is due.
To set clear expectations, it is essential to communicate the project goals, scope, and deliverables to the designer in detail. It is also crucial to provide the designer with the necessary resources, such as brand guidelines, style guides, and product information.
Once the expectations have been set, it is essential to establish clear deadlines for each task. Deadlines should be realistic and achievable, and they should be communicated to the designer early on in the project.
Provide regular feedback
Providing regular feedback is essential for helping remote graphic designers improve their work. Feedback should be specific, constructive, and timely.
When providing feedback, it is essential to focus on the work rather than the designer. It is also important to be respectful and professional.
Feedback can be provided in various ways, such as email, phone calls, and video conferencing. It is essential to choose a convenient method for both the designer and the manager.
Be respectful of their time and expertise.
It is essential to be respectful of remote graphic designers’ time and expertise. This means being mindful of their work hours and workload. It also means valuing their input and knowledge.
Here are some tips for being respectful of remote graphic designers’ time and expertise:
- Avoid scheduling meetings during their off-hours.
- Be clear and concise in your communication.
- Provide the designer with all of the necessary information upfront.
- Be responsive to their questions and concerns.
- Value their input and expertise.
How to hire a remote graphic designer
To hire a remote graphic designer, you can follow these steps:
Define your needs
Be clear about your expectations and requirements.
- What tasks do you need the designer to complete?
- What skills and experience are essential to you?
- What is your budget?
Please book a free consultation with our outsourcing expert. Our team will screen the candidates and present the top 2% for you to review and interview.
When is the best time to hire a virtual assistant?
It depends on your situation – you should examine your needs beforehand. Your business overheads will be much lower. You could be saving up to 70% on your expenses when you hire a virtual assistant.
However, you need a good understanding of what your remote worker will be doing before you hire. Will they be working only part-time, or will they be working on a project for a selected period?
Either way, once you have hired a virtual assistant for your graphic design work, you will be well-placed to have high-quality work produced that matches your brand.
The Bottom Line
There are many benefits to working with a remote graphic designer, including:
- Access to a broader pool of talent. You can hire designers from all over the world, giving you access to a broader range of skills and experience.
- Reduced costs. Remote graphic designers often have lower overhead costs than traditional office-based designers, which can translate into lower rates for you.
- Increased flexibility. Remote graphic designers can work from anywhere in the world, which gives you more flexibility in scheduling and project management.
- They improved work-life balance. Remote graphic designers often have more control over their work hours and schedule, which can lead to a better work-life balance.
- Access to Aristo Sourcing’s expertise. Aristo Sourcing is a leading provider of remote staffing solutions, and we can help you find and hire the best remote graphic designers for your needs.
If you want to learn more about how Aristosourcing can help you hire a remote graphic designer, book your free consultation today. We would be happy to discuss your needs and provide a free quote.
We look forward to hearing from you!
What are the benefits of hiring a remote graphic designer?
There are many benefits to hiring a remote graphic designer, including:
- Access to a broader pool of talent
- Reduced costs
- Increased flexibility
- Improved work-life balance
- Access to Aristosourcing’s expertise
How do I find a qualified remote graphic designer?
There are several places to find qualified remote graphic designers, but opting for freelancers can be problematic. It is better to hire from reputable places, such as Aristo Sourcing. Aristo Sourcing has a network of qualified candidates.
What are some of the challenges of managing a remote graphic designer?
Some of the challenges of managing a remote graphic designer include:
- Communication challenges
- Time zone differences
- Trust and accountability
- Collaboration challenges
How can I overcome the challenges of managing a remote graphic designer?
Here are some tips for overcoming the challenges of managing a remote graphic designer:
- Use clear and concise communication
- Set clear expectations and deadlines
- Provide regular feedback
- Use project management tools to collaborate and track progress
- Build a strong relationship with the designer
How can Aristo Sourcing help me hire a remote graphic designer?
Aristo Sourcing is a leading provider of remote staffing solutions, and we can help you find and hire the best remote graphic designers for your needs. We have a network of qualified candidates whom our team of experts has vetted. We can also help you manage the hiring process and provide support throughout the relationship with your remote graphic designer.